CELEBRATED former slave Harriet Tubman will replace the late president Andrew Jackson on the $US20 banknote, the first time an African-American has appeared on US currency, a Treasury official said. The Treasury is expected to announce the change later Wednesday along with a long-awaited redesign of the $10 note, which is also expected to feature depictions of women on one side. Plans made last year to remove first Treasury secretary Alexander Hamilton -- the inspiration for a hit Broadway musical -- from the $10 note were dropped, however, in the face of popular opposition.US Senator Jeanne Shaheen cheered the choice of Tubman on Twitter. “If this is true, great news! Tubman on $20 is the right call. The redesign needs to happen as soon as possible. Women have waited long enough.” Tubman, who went from slavery to helping run the legendary Underground Railroad that helped thousands of slaves flee to freedom in the 19th century, was the most popular candidate in a poll of 600...
A TEENAGER who livestreamed the rape of her 17-year-old friend has had her defence of broadcasting the assault online shut down by a prosecutor. Marina Lonina, 18, appeared in an Ohio court on Friday alongside accused rapist Raymond Gates. The pair pleaded not guilty on Friday to multiple charges including rape, kidnapping, sexual battery and pandering sexually-oriented matter involving a minor. Lonina pleaded not guilty to the additional charge of illegal use of a minor in nudity-oriented material or performance, related to the alleged use of the social media livestreaming app Periscope. The high school student’s lawyer said she was initially trying to record the assault as evidence, but a prosecutor said she “got caught up on the likes”. Lonina and her friend, who went to high school together, had been socialising with Gates at a home in Columbus in February. The teenagers had met the older man, 29, only the day before at a local mall. After the trio had been drink...
ON the front page of a New York City newspaper on January 2, 1985, Bernhard Goetz proclaimed “I’m sorry, but it had to be done”. The bold headline referred to an incident in Lower Manhattan 11 days earlier when Goetz was travelling on a train. The New York local was approached by four men who allegedly tried to mug him. Instead of handing over his wallet, Goetz pulled out a gun and fired off five shots, seriously wounding all four men. He handed himself in to police nine days later but escaped charges of attempted murder, assault and reckless endangerment. He willingly became the face of vigilante justice, so it was no surprise he was happy to talk about a suspected rapist who was beaten to death this week. ‘Subway gunman’ Bernhard Goetz shot four men on a train in 1984. He still defends vigilante justice. Source: AP Goetz, known these days as the “subway gunman”, was asked about the death of Earl Nash, a man with a lengthy arrest record who forced his way in to ...
Comments
Post a Comment